Keeping Oneself Pure
Keeping Oneself Pure May 29, 2022
“How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word. With all my heart I have sought Thee; do not let me wander from Thy commandments. Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee. Blessed are Thou, O Lord; teach me Thy statutes. With my lips I have told of all the ordinances of Thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate on Thy precepts, and regard Thy ways. I shall delight in Thy statutes; I shall not forget Thy word.” (Psalms 119:9-16)
In a world where impure thoughts, words and actions run rampant it is a real challenge for anyone to keep themselves pure. Some of the things that are accepted and taught in schools are far from purity as are many things our children see on the television and computer. Our children are being programmed to accept all forms of impurity.
The challenge to remain pure before God has existed from the beginning of time. From the scripture quoted above the Psalmist shares with the reader how a young man can keep his way pure. Here is his helpful advice:
- He keeps his way according to God’s word (follows the pattern)
- He has sought God with all his heart (has the right attitude)
- He asks God to keep him from wandering from His commandments (protective)
- He treasures God’s word in his heart so that he won’t sin against Him (values)
- He asks God to teach Him His statutes (eager to learn)
- He tells others of the ordinances of God that He had taught him (proclaimer)
- He rejoices so much in the riches of God’s word (overjoyed)
- He meditates on God’s precepts (contemplates)
- He has regard for God’s ways (priority)
- He delights in God’s statutes (excited)
- He will not forget God’s word (remembers)
When God’s word become so much a part of a person’s life then and only then can that individual’s ways remain pure before God. It is the light in a world of darkness. It keeps us from stumbling and making terrible mistakes. It is proven and found to be reliable and trustworthy. There is no book in the world that can compare to it.
Are you sick of the sinful contamination found in this world? The word of God offers healing to every soul affected by the impurities of this life. May I encourage you to open its pages, ask God for help and guidance and then begin reading.
“O taste (the word of God) and see (discover) that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.” (Psalms 34:8)